Human Resources/help please

I graduated high school in 2011 i have a gold seal of exellence in civics, a seal in career and technical education, and a gold tech prep certificate in human resources. What jobs can i get with that, as a 20 yr old with no experince. Looking towards human resources.Thank you.

Hello Shell,

Thanks for your questions.  Here is my advice.

First, you need to narrow down what field of interest you prefer, for example, manufacturing, engineering, purchasing, logistics, and so on.  The good news is all of your education is “usable” in all those fields.

The other “news”, and it is not bad, but the fact of the matter is your heading into the ranks of the entry level job seekers / holders so the competition is tough.  Hey, just about everyone starts there!

So given the greater question is how to land one of those entry-level jobs in a technical or H.R. area, let’s address that.

Get your resume together… look for effective samples online, lots of them out there.  Copy one you like, that is recommended, and substitute your stuff into the model.  Make sure you work into your resume, the behavioral competences you have developed that will be of value to your employer.  You can look for behavioral competency listings on the net… stuff like integrity, hard work, adaptable, communications, creativity, humor, judgment, passion, and so on.  If you use them make sure you can explain them and have an example of each pertaining to your former work, school experience, etc.  Behavioral competences are important as they are great predictors of how well one will perform in the future and how well one will fit into the company culture.

Create a great cover letter template (samples also online); use the template for all your covers, adjusting the information and content so that it is job specific.

As you might know, networking is the most effective way to find your way into a company. Get a contact list together of those folks who are working, or who you know might help, and let them know your looking; include your resume. Get your resume on, and, other social networks you can use for your search. Hit the temporary agencies like Manpower; it is a great way to get your foot in the door, to sample the employer’s culture, and for the employer to assess you.  It is not uncommon for “temps” to go full time from what starts out to be a temporary agency assignment.

That is my advice… I wish you the best of luck.  Thanks for using

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.