Human Resources/Maternity benefits for small non-profit

Hi - I am currently working on updating our Employee Manual as it does not have a maternity section in it.  We have 7 employees (only 1 part-time, the rest salaried, full-time).  We are a non-profit, church in Colorado.  I know we do not need to follow FMLA since we have less than 50 employees, however I have no basis as to what is the "norm" or what is standard to offer?  Could you please make a recommendation, or point me to a reputable source?
Thank you!

Sorry for my delay.  I typically get back to questions within a day or two.

As you noted, there is no state "FMLA" in Colorado unlike certain other states who do have their own supplemental laws that add to the federal FMLA requirements for employers with less than 50 employees.   There are only a few states that do this.    Therefore, there is no mandate for your organization to follow the federal FMLA.   (as you suggested)

That being said, I do not have a source to send you to look up the "norm" for offering FMLA-- especially when you don't need to do so.    This would be above and beyond what the law would require.   It comes doen to building a policy that works for your organization whether written or just a 1 on 1 agreement.

To get an idea of the standards, just go to Google and search for the federal FMLA regs and put together a policy that might mirror that to some extent.   With so FEW employees, you might be going down a road that is not needed to be traveled.

Maybe you should consider the real basis for FMLA. It is for one reason:  To allow a person up to 12 weeks in a calendar year to come back to their job or an equivalent job IF THEY return within 12 weeks.  The 12 weeks may be broken into blocks as small as an hour--- or 480 hours a year.

So if you just want to preserve someone's job, you can do that by giving them time off for medical reasons or pregnancy--etc  and when they are available to return, if they plan to return,  you can discuss with them the way that would work. Just keep communication open. This would allow you to "help" an employee without creating policies that are unnecessary.

I hope this helps.
I will be away for a week, so will not be returning until Aug 28th if you had any follow up-- just FYI.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.