Human Resources/references

Question
Hi Jim, thanks for being available.  I recently got laid off after only 9 months, with a few others due to what I was told was across-the-board reduction of staff.  I know my division did miss its goals by alot, so it wasn't a complete shock.

I just sent him an email stating that I had an upcoming interview, & asked if I could put him down as a reference.  Surprisingly, he replied that he could not, per company policy.  This is a global company, but I thought I did my job well, & that we had a good personal relationship, so I am confused.  What should I make of this?

Answer
Greg:
your experience is not an unusual one.  Many large companies have a similar policy.   It is no reflection on you just the usual corporate political correctness promulgated by HR.
Hope this helps.  There are folks you worked with that could also be of help.  Call them, not email, and ask if they would make a recommendation.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky