Human Resources/references

Hi Shirley, thanks for being available.  I recently got laid off after only 9 months, with a few others due to what I was told was across-the-board reduction of staff.  I know my division did miss its goals by alot, so it wasn't a complete shock.

I just sent him an email stating that I had an upcoming interview, & asked if I could put him down as a reference.  Surprisingly, he replied that he could not, per company policy.  This is a global company, but I thought I did my job well, & that we had a good personal relationship, so I am confused.  What should I make of this?

I wouldnt think anything bad about this.  Employees are often told by the company that they cannot communicate with or be a reference for a former employee.

I am an HR director and all I give for a reference is the Person's start date, job description, ending date and whether or not they are eligible for rehire. No more, no less.

If an ex employee asks for a personal reference in writing all I say is

January 10, 2007

To whom it may concern:

Jane Doe worked at ABC Company from December 1, 2000 to January 1, 2007 in our Call Center Department as a Call Center Representative.

Shirley McAllister
ABC Company
HR Director

This is the new standard with HR people and others are told to follow it in the company.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions