Human Resources/Required to Volunteer

Question
The organization that I am working for is putting together a policy that will require employees to Volunteer/community service 10 hours a year. These accumulated hours will be used during the yearly evaluation process and points assigned in determination of the percentage of wage raise to be received. It has always been my understanding that anything your employer requires you to do is considered terms of employment and financial compensation needs to be made also acquiring points seem to me to be a condition in which I will or will not receive points to get a raise. Am I right in my thinking? Also, how does this effect a salaried person. My Supervisor has already received a low point for not participating in the volunteer work requirement. He did not sign a contract when hired. How is this fair?

Answer
An Employer can add, edit terms of employment.  In this case they will have points for Volunteer / community service. Participating in community work will earn additional points which will impact over all salary and allowances.

Your supervisor has not signed the contract may be a fit case for legal recourse, as we know that the terms of employment whenever changes made need to be signed by the employee and employer to make it binding on both the parties.

Human Resources

Raghav