Human Resources/Salary employee

Question
If I have a salary employee that did not work a full week do I have to pay him for a full weeks salary.  He only worked one day of the week.

Answer
Karrie,

I'm sorry for my delay in response- typically it is only a day or two...

In any case, salaries should not be adjusted for lack of work , performance, punishment, etc...  Wage and hour laws will allow salaries to be adjusted in very limited situations such as :
1- during the first week of partial salary due to a new job,
2- same as #1 but for the last week of employment when leaving a job
3- if a WRITTEN  policy exists for using vacation/ PTO/ sick, etc and the employee used ALL their allotted / accrued unworked paid time, then takes off MORE time, the company may shorten the salary in whole day increments only,  not hours or half days.

To explain #3, assume Joe worked 5 days a week and has only 16 hours of vacation.  He takes off 3 days  ( 8 hours each),  He would be paid as such:
2 salary days,  2 vacation days.  1 unpaid day.

BUT--   with exempt salaries, it is important to realize salary is paid by the DAY.  So, on that 3rd day he took off and had NO time available,  if he worked from home for 10 minutes, or called to check messages or answer questions , then he "worked"  that day and as such MUST BE PAID  for that day although he did not work the whole day.   ANY work counts as having worked the whole day.

So, your question comes down to whether you had a written policy on using vacation against salary.   If you have NO WRITTEN policy, then just pay the guy and learn the lesson on having a policy to address this.  You may need to have an employee manual written or designed for you-- can be done my many companies ( I also do them affordibly for clients)

I hope this helps.   I am away for a week and not returning till August 28th just FYI in case you had a follow up.

Good luck and I hope this got you closer to your answer.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips