Human Resources/Strange question

I've been working for this company for just a little over two months. They recruited me. I have never met my management since the company I work for contracts through Samsung to work inside of Best Buy to work as a brand ambassador for Samsung.

All the correspondence I've had through my management has been through phone and e-mail. Which has become a problem because unless I luck up and actually catch him on the phone he will not return a phone call and the amount of e-mails he's returned I can count on one hand.

I understand why he's so tough to get hold of. He supervises over 60 people in four states. He's spread too thin. But it really leaves me in a tough spot because a problem arose at work the other day which needed his intervention. I spoke to him and he told me to e-mail him with the particulars of the problem. He also hasn't responded to that e-mail (to even let me know if I've gotten it) and he's left either 3 or 4 calls I've made to him without returning one.

This is becoming a problem. My instinct tells me I should go over his head to his boss but I don't want to anger the guy who took a chance on me sight unseen just based on a resume I posted online.

I'd appreciate your thoughts to what I could do about this.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your question.

I doubt that you will see a change in “behavior” if the situation is as you say…60 people, four states. The averages say a hand full of those folks are A and B players, the remainder below that and needing frequent assistance.  I know, I worked in a distributed, global business and it takes some highly refined management and leadership skills to make it all work, for both the company and employees.

My personal opinion is you should be looking, but keep the job you have.  That organization structure has little chance of being successful without the boss having some state-level supervisors to manage the inflow, make decisions, etc.

I doubt that going to the boss will help as I doubt that the organization structure will change.  I would suggest that it will take something like a huge turnover problem for someone to look at the structure and examine some alternatives.

So I suggest you do the best you can and begin looking for other opportunities.  Just that fact that you were hired from a resume alone speaks volumes, no offense intended!

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Best of luck with this!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.