Human Resources/Employee History Tracking.

Dear Umesh

Is it a good practice to keep the Employees Database History i.e
Electronic version in form of CV/Resume/Bio-Data,Joining,Exit, Appraisal files etc as well as printed version of the same right from start up of the co ?.

Do you recommend that the Human Resource Management System should be able to extract employees data records right from inception ?.

Example : The co is 20 years old.

i.e. Once the Employee exit the corporate, how many years viz 1,3,5,10 etc the employee history should be maintained
and stored in electronic and printed version by Human resources department ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thank & Regards
Prashant S Akerkar

Dear Prashant,

Hope you're doing good.

It's not an option. It's a mandatory process.

If HR doesn't keep record of employees from the date of employees' joining then it could lead to a serious trouble in case of any litigation. Say there is an employee's case is going on in labour department or court and you know it takes years to settle down things like that. Or an old employee approaches you after a few years for his full and final settlement or epf withdrawal then you'll required to access his personal file. Therefore maintaining record is a must. Good companies have a area called as Record room and there is an employee who keeps recording and filing papers and files of various departments of company from inception of the Organisation.

Ideally as per different laws HR needs to keep records of transactions at-least for previous five years.

Regarding Employee's history maintenance keeping a file wouldn't be possible therefore electronically one must maintain database whether in an excel sheet or in a software so as to find out track record if any ex-employee approaches you for job. Based on the past record It will be easier for HR to take decision on ex-employees' candidature.

Apart from above, I also recommend to maintain record of every candidate who appears for interview irrespective of job levels to avoid redundancy/repetition of candidates appearing for interviews.  

Human Resources

Umesh Chaudhary

I prefer to answer question(s) related to Human Resource processes, career development and counseling.

Over 12 years in the field of Human Resources.

1. An article published in India Today on sexual harassment, 2. People challenges on How to retain talent 3. Management & Human Resource

MBA (HR), M.Phil (HR). I hold various accreditation in the area of Human Resources, Industrial Relations and Employment Laws. I strongly feel the more knowledge you share the more you'll get to learn. There is no age to learning therefore I stay abreast with new developments into HR and Labor Laws; I prefer to attend regular seminars, professional gathering, workshops and lectures. I am also associated with All India Management Association, National HRD Network (Delhi Chapter).