Human Resources/Employee History Tracking.

Question
Dear Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive

Is it a good practice to keep the Employees Database History i.e
Electronic version in form of CV/Resume/Bio-Data,Interview Screening form,Joining,Exit, Appraisal files etc as well as printed version of the same right from start up of the co ?.

Do you recommend that the Human Resource Management System should be able to extract employees data records right from inception ?.

Example : The co is 20 years old.

i.e. Once the Employee exit the corporate, how many years viz 1,3,5,10 etc the employee history should be maintained
and stored in electronic and printed version by Human resources department ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thank & Regards
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant S Akerkar!

In my experience, most governments require employee records be kept for a specific period of time and the time changes depending on the type of record.  I would start there first.  If you can find no government stipulations, I would suggest consulting a labor attorney who has sufficient experience to advise you on the best record keeping practices.

Keep in mind if you have records the content can become part of legal proceedings associated with employment related disputes.  That works both ways, it can work in your favor, or, it can work in the plaintiff's favor, depending on the content of the record.

I am a believer in electronic data base records /record keeping.  That also brings a caution with it related to hackers and e-record security, backup practices and so on. If the route you take is e-records, have a good, complete plan to start with! And there are a lot of vendors out there who provide services and have the established software for employee e-record keeping.  As you plan, include those vendors in you cost evaluation scenarios.

You should definitely keep separate files for applicants, as well as separate files for onboard employees (medical, performance records, employment records, etc.).  

I do suggest you obtain some legal advice on this as laws very greatly from country to country.

Best of luck, hope this helps Prashant S Akerkar!

Mark  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger