Human Resources/Joining / Approaching Ex / Former Employers.

Dear Leo

I would like to know the pros and cons of approaching Former /
Ex-Employers, Ex-Employees both from Employees and Business owners point of view ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Should I Go Back To My Previous Employer? Question From The Job Seeker I started my career three years ago and have been working with the same employer ever since. I am hard working and I have been often told by my superiors that I am very good at my job. Recently, I left my previous job for a more lucrative offer I got from another multinational company. The pay is good and I love the environment at work. However, now my old employer has approached me again and is offering me an even better salary package and a higher position. I am not sure what to do, since I have only been at my new job for two months and I think switching back to my previous employers so soon will not look good on my CV. On the other hand, the offer appears to be too good to be passed and I am afraid that I will not be able to get such a lucrative offer again for a long time.

to grab the opportunity, since such offers are hard to come by during the ensuing economic crisis.
going back to a previous employer is not a good idea as it gives rise to certain problems and the employee ends up being stuck in a no-good job.
- not sure whether there will be a lot of growth opportunities for me if I go back to the same company.

There is no doubt that the decision pending on you is by no means an easy one,

As you have stated, it is very hard to get good job offers nowadays owing to the economic crunch. However, what you must keep in mind is the fact that the recession is temporary and will be over one day. Accepting a job offer only on the basis of money is never a good decision. You may be finding the salary range mouth watering, but it might be a short term benefit. To make your career grow, you have to look at the long term implications of any prospective move. As you have pointed out, moving from one job to another too quickly does not sit well with your resume. It indicates a lack of consistency and gives the impression that you are the kind of person who moves from one job to another as soon as a better job offer comes in. Moreover, since you have not worked at any company other than your employer, it is better to stay put and gain some work experience from a different organization.

While the above given arguments are in favor of rejecting the job offer by the previous employer, you have to take in the positive aspects of the offer as well.
-First and the most obvious one is the fact that you will be getting a huge promotion both in terms of money and the post. -Secondly, going back to the previous employer means that you will be working in an environment that you are already comfortable working in and the supervisors already know your worth and merit. Going back to a previous employer might not necessarily be a bad thing; especially if you parted on cordial terms. Moreover, if the company has shown exponential growth since you left, there are chances that you will more learning and growth abilities.
Make sure that you do not make a move based on short term benefits, but also keep in mind your long term goals.

Employees may be rehired for very different reasons. Maybe they were laid off due to a company’s financial situation, but not because they weren’t a valued employee. Or perhaps they were let go unfairly and a company realized its mistake. Maybe, just maybe, they were fired but fixed whatever caused them to be fired in the first place. Regardless of the reason, the question remains: Is this a positive trend or a recipe for disaster? Let’s examine.
Firing — and rehiring
Firings and rehirings can have a major effect on the employees in question.
What about rehiring laid off employees?
While it’s true that the decision to lay off employees is generally not a hot-headed game time decision a la Steinbrenner, layoffs still create unrest with laid off employees as well as remaining staff — and can leave a lingering bitterness in both camps toward company leadership. So what happens when you rehire employees post-layoffs?
Pros of rehiring former employees
Aside from the obvious — that rehiring employees is giving someone a job who needs to support themselves or a family, rehiring employees can have many other benefits.
Employee morale – If employees see that their employer is actively working to bring back employees, it can have a positive effect on morale — and it can bring people back together who formerly worked well as a team.
Training – Rehired employees understand the company culture, and employers don’t have to retrain them. Even if company structure has changed somewhat since they left, you’re likely looking at a quick brush-up versus a training overhaul.
New perspective — Time may actually have not just healed all wounds — but may have enabled both the person or people who let an employee go, and that employee, get away from a negative situation, gain some perspective, and learn from mistakes made. Even if the situation ended on a neutral or positive note, time away in which a former employee has had a chance to pursue other interests, hobbies, and skills may benefit not only them and their place in the organization, but also their employer, once he or she is brought back into the fold.
The HIRE Act — What it Means to You
If you’re an employer rehiring currently unemployed former employees — or an employer hiring any unemployed worker in general — you could benefit from a new tax incentive. One of the major benefits to employers who hire unemployed workers comes in the form of two new tax benefits that are part of the Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment (HIRE) Act.
Cons of rehiring former employees
As much as rehiring a former employee can have positive effects, things can just as easily swing the other way — making a situation less than happy for rehired employees, employees who haven’t been let go, and company leadership.
Resentment – If things ended on a sour note, rehiring former employees can be complicated — and may not work out well in the long run. Even if an employer did everything they could to ease the stress of the situation, an employee may harbor resentment and bitter feelings, and those feelings may have grown stronger since they left the organization.
Current employee backlash — Employees who watched someone else leave and then come back may become jealous because a rehired employee is now getting work they were handling and returning “without paying their dues” as a new employee would. After all, remaining employees are often the ones left picking up the extra work when a company downsizes.
Short-term success – It’s important to keep in mind that even if an employee is willing to come back, they may only be accepting the job because they really need one (and are still looking for something better). This is where “onboarding” a rehired employee may help (see below).
If you’re going to rehire
If you do choose to rehire laid off employees, there are some things you can do to avoid the potential pitfalls listed above and ensure it’s as smooth a transition as possible.
offers employers a few tips; namely, to clearly communicate to the rest of the company the reasons for hiring back a former employee; sufficiently brief a former employee about the company’s current situation and present very clear expectations; and to follow up, at least quarterly, with the returning employee to make sure he or she is adjusting well.

Human Resources

Leo Lingham

human resource management, human resource planning, strategic planning in resource, management development, training, business coaching, management training, coaching, counseling, recruitment, selection, performance management.

18 years of managerial working exercise which covers business planning , strategic planning, marketing, sales management,
management service, organization development

24 years of management consulting which includes business planning, corporate planning, strategic planning, business development, product management, human resource management/ development,training,
business coaching, etc

Principal---BESTBUSICON Pty Ltd