Human Resources/Layoffs & Earned PTO

Question
My daughter was laid off from a large organization after 16 years of employment.  She had over 100 hours of earned PTO built up for the year.  Shouldn't she get paid for this earned time?

Answer
Hello Judy,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately I can not give you a definitive answer for your question.  You or your daughter would have to review the company's policy on her PTO time and how it is handled in the event of a layoff.  My opinion is that the time would be payable however company policies differ greatly with respect to accrued benefits, how they are calculated based on certain conditions and how they are paid.  So you or your daughter need refer to the specific policy.  Normally the policy is found in the employee handbook or union contract, which ever applies in this case.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Best of luck!

Mark  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger