Human Resources/NYC and considerations in employement screeing

Question
i am being considered for a job with a medical company in NYC, my position is in human resources. I have an offer contingent on employment background screen done by ADP. i have two misdemeanors from 2000(dui) and 2003 (leaving the scene of an accident. Will my offer be pulled due to these convictions even though they are 13 and 10 years old with no other issues.

Answer
Marc,

I have no idea.  This decision is up to the prospective employer.   Would depend on their hiring policy and perspective on your past behavior.   Not sure how far back the background check will go- maybe 5 or 7 years maximum.

It is not likely anythign adverse will happen though as many "criminal " convictions more than 5 or 7 years old that are not directly related to the position you are applying for should not be considered in hiring decisions.  This is what the attorneys and  EEOC would tell you.  But of course, the EEOC and attorneys aren't the ones making you the job offer.

Last,  you can have your offer rescinded for any number of reasons.  Nothing is guaranteed.  As the HR manager, you would know this.

Good luck and success  in your new position.

Brian Phillips  

Human Resources

Brian Phillips