Human Resources/PTO True Up/True down

Question
I read a question that was submitted regarding this policy.  I too work for a company that uses this practice.  Basically the true up and true down process is going by 80 hours or whatever the standard hours may be.  In a way it could be beneficial but also harmful.  It is good for if you do get your standard hours then it will true you up to them but the true down is a whole different monster.  If you work over 40 hours in a work week then you are compensated at time and a half but if you take PTO that next week then your PTO hours are put back into your bank.  With that being said your overtime for the week before is being sliced because you are making up for the PTO they have now taken away.  Can you please tell me if this is legal?

Answer
Vacation time is considered a fringe benefit and is up to the discretion of the employer.

Indiana law only requires that employers must pay employees for actual time worked. As a result, employers are not required to pay for sick days, personal days, or holidays.

If they do than they should follow their own policies they have put in place for their employees.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR