Human Resources/interview

hi my nameis kim,
I recently had a pre screening at a local resturant for a position , that same day they scheduled me for a 1 on 1 interview with a manager it all went well then they scheduled me for a 2nd interview with another manager. I don't think I did as well as the other interview, at the end of the interview he told me he has 3 more people to interview and that there's one more step of interviewing process with the general manager. However he didnt set me up with another interview! At the end he told me if I don't hear anything by friday to give them a call back to check on my status, does this sound right? or did I flunk the last interview?
Please let me know your opinion. Thanks

Hi Kim,

Congrats on getting an interview !     There is no "one way" to conduct a job interview but some methods are documented to be much more predictive and accurate in helping determine who to hire and who not to hire.  I'll bet the manager is more a professional food manager than a skilled job interviewer, so he or she likely just did their best to ask questions or tell you about the job and see how their "gut feeling" reacts to your interview.  That being said, I can't tell you what the end result will be.   To even suggest one way or the other would not be fair to you.   

It is very likely there were other applicants who also wanted the job and there could have been other applicants to interview, or not.  Not all employers / managers like to interview and some in fact hate the entire process.    In addition,  there are structured interviewing processes and  other more subjective and less reliable methods used for interviewing and the methods used here are anyone's guess.  All this uncertainty and subjectiveness goes into the pot luck of interviewing.

So, just wait till Friday and then call the manager like he/she asked you to do to follow up.   Call early about 9 or 10am before the lunch rush or 3:30 to 4:30 before the dinner rush When you speak with them, say "I am calling to follow up, as you asked, and find out if you are interested in offering me a position as a server ( whatever term) at your restaurant..."   If not hired, you can ask where your interview or job skills fell short, but likely they will not say, nor are they required to.    Last,  if you really did want to work there let them know,  "Please keep me in mind in the event an opening does come up".   This way they know you did not go away mad...  after all, you could have been the #2 choice and a job offer can come to you 3 weeks later when the person they hired was caught eating  shrimp coctail in the walk in cooler.

Often many steps are required to get through an interview process;  other times people are hired on the spot.   It all depends.   If you did not get hired,  don't beat yourself up,  just keep looking for work and don't think you "blew the interview"  because of any one thing you did or did not do.   

I hope this helps

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.