Human Resources/Should I apply again with my previous company

Question
Hello Mark,

I hope you will spare some of your precious time reading this letter of mine.

Good Day!

I am from the Philippines and I have a very important question and perhaps to ask help with your expertise. I am degree holder, finished a four year course in one of the biggest and reputable schools in the country. One point in my career, I was hired in one of the government offices in our place where I had a "spokesman" position. However, when I got in the company I got sick where I only spent roughly 3 months in the office. My doctor advised me to have an indefinite rest for me to recover fully with my illness.

That time, I informed our administrative officer that I have this condition, thus, I cannot continue with my work anymore. I had PTB or Pulmonary Tuberculosis. The company helped me all the way, bought my medicines and even gave me financial assistance for me to continue my medication and follow up check ups.

I was so preoccupied that time that I don't what came into my mind that I had not replied to text messages or calls. Informing me to go to my doctor for a follow up check up. Also, they asked me to submit one of the requirements that I missed to submit during my application which is my civil service certificate. This certificate is important here in my country when we apply in the government. The reason why I was not able to submit that certificate during my application because it was still processed according to the civil service commission. This the branch of the government who processed these kind of certificates. Our administrator told me that my certificate is already done and ready to be picked up in the city which is a 2 hour ride from our place.

I don't have any money to pay for my bus fare and most importantly I was so weak to travel even if that was only a 2 hour ride. I was really really sick. After that incident, they did not send me any text or call anymore. I heard from one of my colleagues in the office that my manager and people in the management were disappointed at me.

Months later, they posted a job vacancy on FB and then I re-applied but the position was very low. I was still invited to have an interview, however, during the proper interview I felt something really bad and sad. I knew that I will not be rehired because one of the reasons, the position that I was applying at that time was way too low for my qualification and from the position I held before. I told them that I am willing to start at that level just to show them that I am sincere with my application. Also, that reason maybe they are still disappointed with me.

I really don't know what to do. Now, they are posting again a job vacancy where my previous position is open for application. My question now to you Mr. Dromsky, will I still be fit or shall I say have the chance to re-apply on the third time around? Please give me an advise if I still have to re-apply in this company or not. I want to work with them seriously because I don't want to be far from my mother who is sick "bed ridden" right now and I want to be with her and take good care of her as much as possible.

Thank you very much and hoping to hearing from you soon.

Dominique

Answer
Hello Dominique,
Thanks for your question!

You should reapply!  You have a good story to tell.  And you have good reasons why you voluntarily separated from work.

How to reapply?  You have contacts in at your previous employer.  If you are comfortable making a phone call to re-establish contact then you should do so.  You can use the call to explain all that has happened that caused you not work over the period and to express your desire to reapply.  I would organize your thoughts so you can concisely relay your “history” and end the call with your desire to reapply. If you are not comfort with calling, I would write a letter directly to your contact(s), ideally the supervisor who has responsibility for the job for which you want to apply.  Again, the letter should concisely explain why you were not available for work and that you would appreciate the supervisors support for your re-application.  It is OK to copy the Human Resources department on your letter.

And in either the call or letter I would express that thought that if the position you are seeking is not available, you would accept any position available in your career field.  It is easier to apply inside the company for higher level positions. So “getting your foot in the door” is important. And be sure to highlight relevant experience and behaviors that will complement the position and why you find working at that employer so compelling and desirable. By behaviors I mean observable traits that make you a desirable asset.  For example: hard worker, ethical, person of integrity, good communicator, adaptable, good leader, team player, intelligent, etc.

Alternatively you can apply for the position and write the letter(s) or make the call(s) at the same time, saying that you have applied for a specific position.

Observable Behaviors or Effectiveness Competences (EC’s) such as adaptability/flexibility, honesty, professional presence, hard work, integrity, communications, leadership, business acumen, influence, analytical capability, judgment, and so on are critical to success on the job and career progression.  When you work with a peer, boss, or any employee for a short period of time you can see by their behavior if they have professional presence, if they work hard, if they are analytical, if they are adaptable and an effective communicator.  EC questions are often used as a basis for interviews as they reveal important behaviors. There are many sources of lists of competencies, as well as sample behavioral interview questions on the Internet.

EC’s are critical career makers (or breakers) as they are observable by any level of co-worker, open doors for you (professional presence), impact co-workers careers and daily work environment (compassion, talent management, leadership), are a factor in your ability to learn (listening) as well as have others learn from you (patience, understanding), display your energy and enthusiasm for your work and your company…  in a few words, EC’s make or break more careers than technical knowledge (functional competencies). They are excellent forecast factors of a professional’s future capability in higher-level positions.

I would go for it Dominique!

I hope this helps you.  Best of luck to you!

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger