Human Resources/Manager showing favoritism, On call person works more than part time person

Hello, I have been working at a casino retail store for over a month. The new manager had promised fairness across the board and that everyone in retail would have a chance to work the most dreadful area the kiosk. The reason that area is bad is because no one makes any sales there, and the people are more difficult to deal with. The retail store is more upscale and when we make sales there we get a pay bonus. The more you work at kiosk the fewer bonuses you make if any at all, because kiosk sales aren't tied to the retail store sells. I worked my buns off, worked on my off days, gave customers great service. I even stay longer to make sure the drawers are counted properly, every day I tried my best but it just isn't enough.

Unfortunately, I've noticed that there has been favoritism. The 2 people that have work there the longest donít ever have to work over there. Not only that, but the manager is giving the ďon callĒ worker more hours than me and Iím part time. (On call is only supposed to be there when someone calls off) She gives me my 32hrs, but she gives the on call worker full time hrs. When someone calls off instead of the on call person working Iím called.
Iíve tried talking to the manager about it, but he gave some bullshit excuse. It still didnít explain why an on call person works more than me. If this keeps up I want to take it to hr., do I have a case? What do I do?

(Also another coworker is in a worst potion than I am, the manager dislikes this girl. He has giving her points she didnít deserve. He only offered her full time if she stayed in kiosk, when the girl refused he forced her to work there for nearly a month.)

Unfortunately there are no laws against a bad boss or favoritism. I sometimes wish there were.

The best advice I can give is to talk to your HR Manager. She may or may not be able to help but it is the only place you have to go to get help.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions