Human Resources/Multiple degree education

hello sir my name is Nidhi... I m doing m.a with psychology... now I want to do hr course... so I request u to suggest me a better course in HR.. which helps me to provide better job... n also tell me that its better if I do it by distance or in regular??? and also tell me that in ahmedabad which college by I doing this????

Hello Nidhi dani,

Thanks for your questions!  Here is my opinion.

There are many HR professionals with psychology degrees who do not have HR degrees.  It is not uncommon.  Of course if you pursued an HR degree the combination of the two would be a powerful combination for job searches and an excellent knowledge base for work.

What HR course to take, depends on what you would like to specialize in in the HR field.  By far, the best paying a providing a good pathway to top executive HR positions is the compensation and benefits track.  However, HR generalists who are skilled in multi-facets of HR can also occupy positions at the top as well, in many companies reporting to the CEO.

In the end either distance or on-campus curriculum will work.  I am not sure there is a great difference.  If you earn the degree you earn the degree.

But you can’t learn everything in school.  It is the practical work world, on the job experience, that is the best teacher.  The degree(s) will open the door for you.  My advice would be to find a job in the HR field and return to school while you work to earn the HR degree.  As you work in the HR field your experiences will help guide you into your preferred career track – Compensation and Benefits, Generalist, Employee Relations, Training and Development, etc.

I cannot advise you on the best school for your continued education… there are just too many good schools to choose from.  And I am not familiar with colleges in Ahmedabad to advise you.  Of course if it is a distance college/university, your choices are global in nature.

If you are going the online education route, check out Southern New Hampshire University.  It might be a good cost-effective alternative and they are building a good reputation in the online learning  field.

Good luck to you!!!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.