Human Resources/Owned a Business Looking for Employment y

Question
Hi Jim,

I have had a good career spanning 23 years.  My resume reflects solid growth and achievement the first 15 years of my career working for known companies in my industry.  I started my own company in the same industry and ran it the last 8 years.  Economic conditions forced me to sell the business last year.  I made some money from it but not enough to retire on.

I am know looking for employment with not much success.  There are many jobs I apply for that I qualify for so much I cannot believe I'm not getting a call.  

My question is, has my experience being my own business owner hurt rejoining the workforce as an employee?  Do companies look at my resume as too off the beaten path?  Do employers think I'm more likely to quit and start a company again?  Do they feel I'm not as likely to take direction as well if I was my own boss for years?

If the answer is "yes" to the above, what advice would give me?  The title on my resume for my company says President/Founder.  I am in an industry where an extreme few have ever started their own company much less lasted 8 years.

Thank you very much!

Answer
Jay
There are as many reasons that hiring managers dont hire as there are hiring managers.  I know that sounds sappy but after doing executive search for over 30 years, you can carve that in stone.
Now, if there are skill sets that you have that can contribute to the success of  an employer concentrate on those and go with the flow.   Also since we both know  that many folks are intimidated by those who marched to a different drummer, consider offering a potential employer consulting services to sort of try before you buy.
Without seeing your resume thats all I can offer at this time.
Good luck and feel free to follow up
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky