Human Resources/Contract Job Dilemma

Hello Mr. Eichinger,

I need some advice regarding accepting a job offer. I have been looking for a job for a few months now. I graduated with my Bachelors degree a few months ago and I was tired of just completing internships and not having a real job.

I recently got hired for a contract job through a hiring agency back in March. The person that hired me said that he would like me to stay for a year. Then after that he would help me find a job if he liked my performance. The job does pay $20 an hour and the job matches perfectly with my major and my skills. The only problems with the job is the commute and that they are only scheduling me for 3 times a week.

Before accepting this job offer, I had sent out a few applications to other jobs, but never got a call back. Then suddently I got an interview with one of the companies I sent my application materials to. I went to the interview and a week later I was told that they wanted to offer me the position I applied for. I am super excited, but I don't know what to do about my current assignment.

I did read my contract and it said that my employment is at will. So I'm guessing I can quit before the year is up, but I don't want to burn any bridges. I also don't want to be known as a job hopper. I don't know what to do. I was thinking of maybe giving my current boss 2 weeks notice and wrap up any pending projects. I'm hoping I could get some help or advice. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this and any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello Kevin!

Thanks for your question.

You are in the driver's seat and you can handle this respectfully.  As I understand it you are a contract employee, but working on a part-time basis, currently 3 days a week, and it sounds like the commute is a factor.  And, your current "employer" may offer you a full-time position based on some time on the job and your performance.

Concurrently, you have found a full-time job offer; make sure you have an offer in hand and a start date.  The worse case scenario is you give two weeks notice on your contract job and the other offer, for whatever reason, disappears.  And make sure you understand the job duties and the culture associated with the full time offer. More professionals quit their jobs as the duties don't match those described during the hiring process.  Professional turnover is also caused by not so great work cultures where new hires are disappointed in the "personality" of the company, some times months into the assignment.

My advice is to professionally and respectfully advise your contract employer that you have a full-time job offer and that you have decided to accept it, and, that you will gladly workout a two week notice. Be prepared. Know what decision you will make if your current contract "employer" offers you a full time position.  So you need to fully understand your offer from the other company in the event this happens so you can quickly evaluate the two.

No sweat on the job hopping issue; you are changing jobs to leave part-time for full time. One of the best reasons you can have for making the change.

Best of luck!!!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.