Human Resources/Husband and Wife Working in same Organisation.

Question
Dear Mark

Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

1. What are the reasons for the same ?.

2. On a personal opinion are you for or against this HR rule ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Thanks for your question Prashant!  I’m thinking this is a homework question and I usually do not answer those.  However, I make an exception in this case as I have not looked at this topic recently.

My personal opinion is it is not a problem if the two work on the same level in the organization, in different departments.  It is a problem if one of the two works at a high level in the corporation and the other a lower level.  Some corporations refer to this as a “scope of influence” issue as the spouse or partner who works at the lower level could, either real or perceived, be subject to favoritism (compensation, promotions, rewards, recognition, etc.) due to the influence, either real or perceived, of the spouse at a higher level.  This can be true even if the two work at different locations in the same corporation.

Other factors that bear on policy decisions could include:
•   discrimination based on marital status
•   constitutional rights findings by the courts
•   liability and productivity concerns that businesses express

If a business intends to create a no-spouse policy it is best to seek the advice of an attorney familiar with related law.  As important, the business should make sure that all employees are aware of the no-spouse policy, understand its basis, and have an opportunity to field questions or concerns and receive timely answers.  Equally important in implementation and practice, the business needs to remain consistent in the policy's application and administration. No small task in a diverse business.  The business also needs to be sensitive to varying laws within states, provinces and other countries.

I hope this helps Prashant, best of luck going forward.

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger