Human Resources/Husband and Wife Working in same Organisation.

Question
Dear Pankaj

Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

1. What are the reasons for the same ?.

2. On a personal opinion are you For or Against this HR rule ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant
My understanding of the reasons why some organizations do not allow both husband & wife to work in the same organization is that there could be a clash of interests that happens. For example, if the job & career aspiration requires one person to be posted to another location, the second may also need to be moved or may leave the job. This is perhaps not as tough a challenge as if they were working in the same function. More so if they are in a reporting relationship. In such a case, there could be concerns (even if they are misplaced) about biased behavior. There could also be situations (more so in a silo kind of organization or where there is politics) and the two are in different departments, where the boss of one acts in a biased manner to have an impact on the other. This could be detrimental to the couple as well as the organization.

On a personal note, I would dialogue the concerns & consequences with the couple and then let them take a call that is in the best interest for the couple & the organization.

Hope this helps. Do revert if you want me to clarify any aspect. Will be happy to respond. All the best.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava