Human Resources/Husband and Wife Working in same Organisation.

Question
Dear Evan

Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

1. What are the reasons for the same ?.

2. On a personal opinion are you For or Against this HR rule ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant-

My deepest apology for taking 9 days to respond. I've had some changes in location over the past month and I'm getting back on my feet.

To answer your questions:

1. What are the reasons for the same?
A. This is a great question. You're right only some organizations do this, and its usually due to privacy issues as well as to avoid the problems that come along with nepotism or the hiring of relatives or favored people. Nepotism can be very common in small family owned business but it becomes an issue of unjust favoritism as the company becomes bigger and bigger and people who are qualified are passed over because a "family member" who is favored or cheaper in cost is hired. You can see how this is an issue and  then you mix in that the people are then in a physical marital relationship, it causes potential issues.

2. On a personal opinion are you For or Against this HR rule?
A. I am against it unless the husband/wife team are working in areas that can be used to consolidate power or to create potential areas of compromise. For instance you don't want a Bank Manager and her husband to both hold keys to a vault or you would not want a Judge and his wife to be working in a court room together as a judge and lawyer or other relevant positions. This could compromise justice, security, financial states etc....

I hope this answers your questions and please follow-up with me if you have more concern.

Best to you

Evan  

Human Resources

Evan Glassett