Human Resources/Husband and Wife Working in same Organisation.

Question
Dear Shirley

Some Organisations (Government and Private Jobs) in any industry or sector do not allow Husband and Wife to work in the same organisation.

1. What are the reasons for the same ?.

2. On a personal opinion are you for or against this HR rule ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Many employers have this rule. Here are some of the reasons for the rule.

If one is disciplined it than causes problems with 2 employees

Both employees wish to take vacation time at the same time causing two employees to be gone at the same time

If one employee is angry with the company and quits you will lose 2 employees as generally the spouse will also quit

The spouses are ill or have a child they are both gone on leave at the same time

They talk at work causing disruption and a loss of productivity

I do not hire husband and wife in my company we have a policy against it. Our largest problem with it is the disciplinary issue. I also do not hire mother and daughter or father and son.

Shirley  

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR