Human Resources/question about enforcement of dress code

Question
My question is as an employee, not as a manager. My company, which is a pretty large corporation has a set dress code. It's business casual, no casual Fridays, you are expected to dress up for special events. There is nothing about facial hair listed anywhere.

My boss, who is basically the manager of my department has made comments about my facial hair. She says I have to either be clean shaven or grow a full beard. I can't have stubble. This is a bit ambiguous, because sometimes I will have stubble even if I've shaved that day or the night before. She's very old fashioned, and will also make comments to girls about wearing make up.

My question is she can say whatever she wants, but is she in the right to discipline or even fire me if I don't comply with her request to shave every day? Is it what she says goes, or if it's not listed anywhere in an official dress code am I safe?

Answer
M
Thanks for the question.
Why dont you just sit down with her and discuss the situation instead of getting upset.  What I am sure she is commenting about is that stubble (meaning more than 24hrs growth) has a tendency to appear unkempt, while a beard (neatly trimmed) can look quite professional.  Your employer has the right to require a neat, clean appearance in a professional environment. (I wear a beard myself).
Just sit down and have a conversation and relax.
Let me know how it goes.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky