Human Resources/Leaving before a 2 week notice

I recently turned in a notice of my resignation to my current employer, effective in 2 weeks. She is now harassing me, calling me names, attacking my character, and even threatening to contact my new employer. Are there any potential consequences to leaving before my 2 week notice is up?

Thank you for your question and congrats on your new position.

Of course, I'm not sure if you searched for a different job due to other prior harassment or if you just moved on to a different employer for other reasons.  Either way, it is irrelevant..   Nobody ever said a manager or employee needs to be cordial or even reasonable.

Harassment as you explain it is very subjective, and also the extent of the harassment, but it is up to you to either report her to your manager ( or your manager's direct report such as a regional manager).  Many companies don't tolerate harassment and even though you are leaving their employ in less than 2 weeks, you are still employed now.  If you need to file a complaint this is your choice.

Alternatively, the manager might be less professional than they should be in this position. Maybe they are angry because they will have more to do with you gone; maybe they are jealous you moved on and they are still there,  maybe  x, y, z.  Who knows.   No excuse for the manager, just pointing out that anyone can behave irrational and inappropriate and it is not something that helps build up employees.

So, you can either deal with it, Tell the manager to stop,  tell your manager to knock it off,  or you might decide to leave early.   If you decide to leave early,  you would just have a little more free time to spend before you start your new job.  Of course, I hope the new job will be exactly what you are looking for.     Unemployment eligibility doesn't seem to be any concern since you are going right into another position.

So, people are free to come and go from any employer unless they have some sort of employment contract and I assume you would know if you did have one.   You are at will employee, so  the question is simply  ... should I stay or should I go ?

Check out the advice given by the Clash...

Enjoy your new career and don't look back......

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.