Human Resources/Best Employee award certificates.

Dear Brian

Do you feel Best Employee Award certificate can be given on a monthly, quarterly, yearly basis to deserving candidates based on their performance by cos ?.

This effectively will motivate the employees as they have gained appreciation from the corporate for their work ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

The answer depends on many factors, but in the end is whatever works best for your company and your employees.

If you give the award weekly, this can make the honor less valuable.  What if the same few people win the award often?  Would the award be tied to a measurable outcome like performance, customer surveys or some other factor that is not subjective and is fairly attainable by all similar employees ?   One certificate per department   ( sales,  production ,  and customer service?)

Also, who is determining the award recipient?  Is it the business owner, a department manager or team of managers?   Is it someone who interacts with employees on daily basis to see them and know more or are they apart from the employees who will win the award?   Can the employees nominate a co-worker who they feel should win the award?

Will you publish their name in a news letter or put up their photo so employees can see the person who won?    Being positively recognized at work can add to status and appreciation for the work.

If given yearly, employees may be honored, but 1x a year is not really a motivator( also not knowing how many employees??  25, 500 ??    You may need more awards.   Maybe a certificate worth a few Rupies for  meal at a restaurant or to shop at a store would be nice too.   

So, I would suggest monthly or quarterly certificate and explain how the person was selected.    Maybe once selected, you can not be selected again for  a year.  This gives others a chance to work hard and win.    Maybe offer award for 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place..   

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

This is really quite subjective, so I hope your award program is well received.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.