Human Resources/Career Counselling

My daughter passed out B.Tech(CS) from a private college under UPTU in the year 2010 securing 73% marks. She could not get any placement since then. Now she has cleared CAT(percentile- 94) and has been offered a seat in MBA by NIT, Trichy. I want to know whether it will be advisable for her to join MBA from that college and whether the gap of 4 years will still create problem for her at the time of placements after completing MBA.

I shall be grateful for your valuable advice in this regard.

Hoping for an early response.

ANSWER: Dear Vijendra
It is indeed unfortunate that she did not get a job since her engineering. What is good is that she has decided to do an MBA and got admission as well to an institute like NIT Trichy.

Doing an MBA from a good institute will help her in getting a start in her career. There will be questions that she may have to face during her interview about what she did in the 4 years after her engineering. Those are going to be there even if she were to search a job now. So, that is something that she needs to be prepared to answer in any case.

What is important at this stage is that she completes her MBA course. If has other options then it would be important to evaluate the various options on which is the best one. If not, then NIT Trichy is a good option to start off with.

Hope this helps you in the decision making process. Do revert if you have any further clarifications to seek or other queries on this. I will be happy to respond. All the best.

My daughter has taken admission in MBA in NIT Trichy. But now she has got an offer for PGDM in FORE School of Management, Delhi. Fee difference is huge Tuition fee in Fore is Rs.11 lacs but in NIT it is only Rs. 2.40 lacs.

We are in a dilemma?

Pl help us with your expert advice. We have to take a decision urgently as FORE has asked for deposit of fee by 14.07.2014.

Vijendra Kr. Jain

Dear Vijendra
My personal bias is that between a FORE & NIT Trichy, the latter (NIT Trichy) is likely to be a better institute. Even though FORE has been around for a long time, it is better known in Delhi & North India.

NIT Trichy is known as a good engineering institute & is likely to have got good faculty for management too.

Having said that, if your daughter is keen on placement in North India only, then perhaps FORE is a better choice. If she is open to other locations, then NIT Trichy could be a better option.

Thirdly, please check the relative record of placements at both the institutes & the average salary at placement. That will give you a clue about where the return on the money invested in MBA will be better. My hunch is NIT Trichy. Please check data though. Of course you will need to check the cost of stay & food at Trichy compared to Delhi (though that will still be much less than the difference in the fees. I am assuming that the costs mentioned by you are towards institute fees only).

Hope this helps. Do revert if you want further clarifications or have any other query on this. I will be happy to help.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava

Questions related to choice of career, inter-personal issues at the workplace, performance management issues, structure issues, compensation structuring issues, culture building issues, linking HR with org. strategy

22 years in HR and Org. Development, designing & facilitating interventions, leading an HR team of an Indian multinational & facilitating multiple organizations across industries to build the desired culture to serve business need

HR magazine of TISS (an HR institute of repute - Tata Institute of Social Sciences)

B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) from IIT Mumbai (one of the most reputed engineering school in India) and PGDM (MBA) from IIM Kolkata (one of the most reputed management institutes in India).

Was awarded the Gold Medal for excellence in HR by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce at IIM