Human Resources/Paychecks

I work for a company (have been here a year) and the business is in bad shape financially.  Each payday, we pray we get paychecks and not a letter of apology.  I am 5 months pregnant, so before you simply say "look for another job", no one will hire me.  I'm stuck here until December (provided the company lasts that long). If he doesn't pay us at any point, obviously I would call unemployment and let them know what is going on.  Beyond that, I know I would essentially have to continue to come in to work to continue to have pay owed to me, correct?  Does that mean I would have to still put 100% effort forth, or would I essentially be showing up but on strike (not union type, but personal).  I'm not sure exactly what to do.  We're in Ohio, by the way - Cuyahoga County.

As long as you continue to work for the company you should put forth the same effort as if the company were not in financial troubles. If you do below quality work it will show in any job referral or background check after you leave the company. You also do not want to get into bad work habits. always take a pride in your work.  If you are not being paid than you are allowed to draw unemployment insurance. If you have to quit becaue you are not being paid you can generally still draw unemployment, it would be up to your state unemployment office.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions