Human Resources/Terminating Employee Wrong or right?

Question
Hello,

So I have been working as an full time assistant manager of a women's clothing store. One of the part time assistant managers that my store manager hired I have been having serious issues with. I have only brought two of these issues to her attention because I did not want to seem petty or like an informant. I like this girl as a person I'll just say her name is Cindy so this is nothing personal. I think she's funny and an nice girl she just does not have a good work ethic and I want her fired. When Cindy first started working with us every shift that we worked together she would tell my manager something I did that wasn't true such as refusing to fix her time sheet when she forgot to clock in. Cindy is habitually late 5-20 minutes. One incident she called saying she would be a few minutes late and ended up being an hour and half late. During this time I could not get ahold of her and notified my manager. That same day she started arguing with a customer and I asked her twice to stop talking to the customer. She wouldn't and I asked her to leave the floor twice before she finally listened. The customer called my manager to complain. Also a manager I know from a different store has been using Cindy for help since their store is short staffed. A customer complained about Cindy's attitude saying that she accused her of placing a clearance sticker on her item and told the customer "well we know how to do our jobs. It's not on sale. I know you did this." My sales girls have had issues with her leaving the sales floor and leaving them alone. They also said she spends most of her shift trying to have conversations. She's also been caught using her phone in the back while helping another store. We have a strict no cell phone policy. Basically she has poor work ethic and is very lazy. She also doesn't reach her sales goals or quotas. Our sales girls actually surpass her as far as numbers. She talks bad about our manager and the company a lot. I have to consistently tell her to stay on the sales floor, or to do something besides stand behind the register. Should I tell my manager I want her fired and the reasons why or just let her dig her own hole? I want to bring up many of the incidents I've had with her and that the sales girls told me about however I don't want it to look bad that I'm just now bringing it up. I don't feel she is helping our store but harming it.

Answer
Tori:
Do you really need me to confirm your conclusion? I dont think so.
Document all of the incidents dates time content etc, document all of your constructive critical conversations with improvement requirements and have a sit down with your boss.  In order to "play by the rules", a formal conversation including a "get well" program with dates etc. along with a warning that if any of these issues happen again, termination will be the result.
I am surprised you have let it go this far.  Any one of the customer confrontations would have been enough to move in to a discipline mode.
Let me know what happens.
Thanks for the question
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky