Human Resources/Thesis Topic and Statement

Question
Hi Mark,

I am an HR major, in the process of working on my thesis. I have an idea of what I wish to write about - Employee Retention. However, I want to focus on millenials and what HR can do to motivate their performance and avoid competition from luring them away.

My understanding of the thesis topic is that it is supposed to be a statement. I'm not really sure how I can tie the two so I can make a good topic.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Ng’andwe,

Thanks for your question, I will try and assist.

From my experience and view point, the two are rather inseparable, that is, offering Millennials a great work environment and retaining talent.  Said another way, if a leader has a good process and good skills for managing talent it will be motivational and will apply to all levels, ages, genders, and ethnicities of professionals.  And my experience tell me that sound retention practices cross many borders..  

So let’s look at some key factors that motivate talent in business and industry.
•   Effective On-boarding,
•   Challenging  Work,
•   Opportunity for Growth,
•   Career Guidance and Support,
•   Moving talent when ready,
•   Changing -out resources who are non-productive to make space for talent,  
•   Competitive Pay,
•   Personal and Professional Development.

So what makes these factors work -- skilled managers who care, who are leaders, who are great communicators, and who have great behavioral competencies.  Great behavioral competencies – business acumen, adaptability, flexibility, integrity, humor, professional presence, team player, intellect, and passion are examples.

So my experience  which spans leadership positions, many countries, cultures, and physical operating locations I have found that if the correct leadership skills and competencies are in place and management is schooled in and held accountable for the management of the organizations talent, retention will be a manageable business factor regardless of the “type” of professional employee.

I hope the above helps Ng’andwe.  Best of luck with your project!

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger