Human Resources/Workplace contagion

Question
Hello Shirley, I work in the public library and recently our workplace has been infested with bedbugs, specifically speaking, our work area. We have had bedbug sniffing dogs on-site for the last few days. I spoke with my boss about the spreading of these bedbugs. My boss then said that I would have to prove that the bedbugs came from the library in order for the city/library to pay for treatment for the bugs. Is there anything I can do? Treatment for these bugs run in the thousands, and being part time, I would never be able to afford the treatments in my home/car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Jared C.

Answer
Jared if you have had bedbugs in the library and dogs sniffing for them it is already proven that they are there. If your supervisor does not help out I would contact the city council this should be a workman's comp claim. I am sure you have an HR person or benefits person to go to. Go to that person and ask to file a workman comp claim. If that doesn't get you anywhere than go to the city council as they run the library.

If you cannot get anywhere than call the department of labor and explain that this is a workman's compensation problem and your company will not allow you to file a claim.

As a last resort find an attorney that will give you a free consultation and take a case on contingenecy. Sometimes a letter from an attorney will do the job, sometimes you have to sue the city. Contingency means if you don't get any money than the attorney gets no money.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR