Human Resources/Complaint against a Supervisor

How do I word a formal complaint letter to HR?  My boss showed up at my house. I was driving a work carpool home after a job and apparently he had been trying to call me for 30 minutes. I was unaware of this due to the fact I was driving. The reason for his call was to reprimand me for things for weeks prior. In other words it wasn't an emergency and even if, under NO circumstances it is appropriate to go to an employees residence. On top of that he caused a scene. Can you please give me the words to adequately inform them on my outrage and disgust of this situation. Thank you, Ryan

1 Answer𠕠ﴨer - Careers & Employment

I would not try to explain this in a note or in a letter. I would call HR or e-mail and set up a meeting with HR to discuss some work related concerns. When you arrive at HR to discuss the matter than you explain to HR just what happened and how inappropriate it was.

If you do not have an onsite HR where you can have a meeting than call HR and set up a time when you can have a telephone conversation with HR.

It is much better to solve these types of matters in person or if you cannot do it in person than via phone.

If you need to write a letter you would simply send it to HR and in the letter explain that recently an inappropriate action was taken by your supervisor and you wish to discuss this with HR. Explain that the supervisor showed up at your place of residence and caused a scene which is not the proper way for him to handle a problem with you. The work related problem between you and the supervisor should have been handled at work in a professional manner with him speaking to you and the two of you discussing the problem. This was not held in a professional manner it was inappropriate for the manager to come to your home and you wish HR to take steps to make sure this does not happen again.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions