Human Resources/Might Lose Job

Hello. Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

BACKGROUND: I am 62.5 years old. The company I work for is having problems, not making enough profits so they have laid off some people. There are 3 of us left in the department I work in as a graphic artist. They hired a new graphic artist 6 months ago and give him the choice work. And I get the left overs. And now my biggest project has been cancelled. So I am expecting to either get laid-off, transferred to another department where they might have more work, or just slowly phased out and maybe they hope I will retire at the end of the year.There is no evidence of age discrimination as all employees involved are over 50 years old.

My question is what recourse or course of action do I have or should I take? How do I deal with this situation that is obviously against me? I feel like I am being "herded" into the jobless coral, forced to retire, or moved into something I don't want to do. Should I retire? Should I hope that they let me go and collect unemployment and Social Security (if that is allowed in my state of Illinois), or just take what they offer me, if they do, in fact offer me another position?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

This is becoming a problem for the baby boomer population everywhere. If you are layed off you can draw social security and unemployment at the same time as long as you are looking for another job.

The other options depend on you and how you feel about retiring or continuing to work. I would try to hold out until at least 63 of course you cannot draw full social security until 66. If you can live on the amount at 63 you might wish to retire. If not than you might wish to see if you can transfer or hold out in your job until 66 when you can draw full social security. You can also discuss this with the company.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions