Human Resources/Question

Question
A company held a career open house yesterday 9/23/14 and told interested individuals to apply online before coming to the open house.  I was interested in and applied online for particular position before attending the open house.

Specifically I applied for a Direct Marketing (DM) Position and I had 2 years’ worth of experience in DM.  I spoke to the “recruiter responsible for the position” and she walked thru my resume with me and then she said that I didn’t have enough experience and that she was looking for people who had 5 to 10 years’ experience.  

Well, when I returned home, I took a second look at the requisition and it said:

Bachelor’s degree with 5+ year of Marketing experience (Direct Marketing experience is a plus)

That recruiter was wrong!  If it were 5-10 years direct marketing experience, I would not have applied.  But with the above criteria, I *do* qualify.   I easily had 5+ years of Marketing experience and if Direct Marketing experience is a plus, I had 2 years experience of DM.

The company has a general recruiting email address:  such that if one were to email the general recruiting email, it would be forwarding to the responsible or intended party.

What are your thoughts as to what I should do?  Thank you.

Should I email the general email address asking that my email be forwarded to the recruiter I had met – and ask for clarification between what she had said (i.e., her looking for people with 5 to 10 years experience in DM) versus what was posted on the requisition (i.e., 5 years experience in marketing – and DM is a “nice to have”) ?

What do you think I should do to handle this tactfully?

Answer
Warren:
Welcome to the wonderful world of recruiting.
Position descriptions that appear on job reqs are more less generic documents and rarely are as accurate as one would like. That being said, it could have been an oversite by the recruiter, your resume and/or discussion didnt impress, they saw people with more relevant experience or the recruiter blew it. It most likely wont make a difference but a polite email to the recruiter enumerating the details of your experience and accomplishments that amply qualify you for the position, your interest in the company and the job and a demonstration of willingness to continue the dialog. At that point, forget about it and be pleasantly surprised if you are recontacted.
Hope this helps.
Let me know what happens
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky