Human Resources/Queston

A company held a career open house yesterday 9/23/14 and told interested individuals to apply online before coming to the open house.  I was interested in and applied online for particular position before attending the open house.

Specifically I applied for a Direct Marketing (DM) Position and I had 2 years’ worth of experience in DM.  I spoke to the “recruiter responsible for the position” and she walked thru my resume with me and then she said that I didn’t have enough experience and that she was looking for people who had 5 to 10 years’ experience.  

Well, when I returned home, I took a second look at the requisition and it said:

Bachelor’s degree with 5+ year of Marketing experience (Direct Marketing experience is a plus)

That recruiter was wrong!  If it were 5-10 years direct marketing experience, I would not have applied.  But with the above criteria, I *do* qualify.   I easily had 5+ years of Marketing experience and if Direct Marketing experience is a plus, I had 2 years experience of DM.

The company has a general recruiting email address:  such that if one were to email the general recruiting email, it would be forwarding to the responsible or intended party.

What are your thoughts as to what I should do?  Thank you.

Hi Warren,

I'm sorry for that experieince you had at the job fair.  It seems it was a case of a help wanted ad that was not written clearly enough to help people decide whether they were qualified or not.   I know many people will apply for jobs they find interesting even when their skills aren't even close.

It seems based on what you wrote to me, your total marketing background would qualify you.  Unfortunately,  the hiring arena is not an exact science.   It is possible one person wrote the ad you responded to and the recruiter was a different person who had their own perspective on the position's required skills.      If you went back to try and make a case for why you are qualified, it would likely not change things because something is not being communicated clearly in the job description or the ad you replied to by the company doing the hiring.

My suggestion is keep looking.  Can you imagine what it would be like to work there if they cant even hire someone who would be perfect for the job?     Try   I use this site heavily as an aggregator of open jobs and to advertise my client's openings.
I hope this helps.

By the way, what is direct marketing and what kind of work are you looking for ?  Look up my website and if you like, send me your resume.  Include your reply in that email directly to me;  not as a reply to the AllExpert response here....

Best of success to you.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.