Human Resources/Crisis Suspension/Discrimination

Question
Hi Jim,

I am a co-op student at a pulp and paper factory. Lately, there is a formal complaint brought up against me, stating that I threatened one of my coworkers, I will refer her as "M" from now on.
In my case, I totally did not say the sentence that my coworker accused me for threatening. (Not the case that I said it, but she took it wrong. I didn't even say it.) I was not able to provide any evidence that I did not say such thing. My coworker, M, can't not provide any evidence that I said such thing either. This case is a dead end now.

Therefore, the investigation was conducted. However, the HR did not let me know that this investigation was about me. HR just told me there was an incident, and started asking questions. My direct supervisor or any supervisor in my department was not involved in the investigation process. My coworker, M,'s supervisor, even a friend coworker, were both present when I was asked questions. They were both taking notes.
Throughout the investigation, HR used languages like "You are just a coop student. Your coworker M has been here for 20 years. How can I believe you over her?" and "You are so close to telling me the truth, but you did not" were used.

Then I was put on "crisis suspension". I was not notified what "crisis suspension" meant exactly. My supervisor was not aware that I was suspended, until I told him myself. My supervisor totally believed in me. When I attempt to ask more questions about my suspension, HR asked me to leave immediately. HR said she would call me on next business day.

Now, I have been doing a great job at work. My supervisor is willing to speak for me. However, I am just a intern/coop student, therefore is not a union member. Can I file a complaint about discrimination against coop students in this case? What else can I do in this case to prevent being falsely accused? Is this okay that HR can say things like that during an ongoing investigation? Were my supervisors supposed to be involved in such process?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you
Nina

Answer
Nina
Sorry for the delay in responding as I have been on travel. Is your suspension over?  If so...
I dont know how long your co-op lasts but at this point I would suggest you keep your head down do your job and chalk this up to a learning experience.
There are a few quotes that might explain this a bit.  "perception is reality" and Whtere is what you said, what you meant and what the other person heard"
There are a number of union folks in business that feel threatened by co-ops and look for any reason to cause trouble.   I would ask your supervisors to write letters of recommendation to demonstrate your quality and move on.  The supervisors etc have to live with the union after you've gone so you're expendable.
While you potentially have a valid complaint, by the time anything happens to address it, you will have graduated.
I know this wont make you feel any better but its probably the best way to deal with it.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky