Human Resources/Mandatory Volunteering.

Question
My employer told me that during our slow winter months (our summers months are a LOT of overtime), I have to volunteer somewhere (I will get paid for it) or I won't get paid for the full 40-hour week unless I use my leave time.  It IS very slow in the winter and it is hard to fill up our days until our construction season starts, but if I am not at work, someone has to cover for me answering phones and taking care of walk-in traffic. Is this legal?

Answer
Marci
Thanks for your question.  When you use the term volunteer, does that mean to show up to the office to cover phones etc?  When you are in the office, you're getting paid for the time but you are not working a full week and that in order to get a full week's pay you must use leave time?  
It sounds as though your employer is shifting you from full to part time.  Is this correct?  if you are in the office for 40 hours do you get paid for it (is it your choice as to how many hours your work)?
Please let me know the full story and I can give you a better answer.
Thanks
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky