Human Resources/Write up for missing a mandatory meeting

My boss wants to write me up for missing a meeting.  We were sent a text a month or so before the meeting informing us of the meeting, then a week or so later we were sent another text saying the date had been changed two weeks later than the original date.  This meeting was not written in on the schedule and I, juggling 3 jobs, completely forgot about it. I have never missed a days work in 2 years. I work extremely hard when I am there. At this time if given a write up, I will not sign it. I have never been given company policy or procedures and had no idea that this company even did write ups. Do I have any grounds or rights to stand on here for my refusal to sign.  I think it is unfair and I'm sure "protocol" is not followed so strictly for EVERYONE there.  Thank you for you time and attention to my problem.

Thanks for your question Lachelle!

I would say without any communication on company policy, having a good work record / performance record and the fact that the meetings usually show on a schedule then maybe a “write-up” is a little extreme.  Given all that, I agree you should not sign it, or, sign it with a note on it that says you received it but disagree with it.  And I would head to H.R., if there is an HR office, to discuss it, if it goes on your record assuming you can’t convince your boss to back off and let this one pass.  You should always start with your immediate supervisor.

In my opinion though, and I realize you are working three jobs, you probably should have somehow noted the changed meeting date and not missed the meeting.

Best of luck to you… thanks again!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.