Human Resources/Employee Suggestion Box.

Question
Dear Mark

Do you consider a good HR practice to have a Employee Suggestion Box at the corporate office?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

Thanks for your question.

I have seen this practiced in several locations.  It is always a good practice to gather employee feedback. The one issue that seems to be common with Suggestion Boxes is the follow up.  Often times suggestions need to be routed to other managers for opinion or action and many times that does not happen.  There is nothing more damaging to morale than to ask for input and never respond.

Alternatively I favor a regular system of employee round table discussions where opinions and concerns and ideals can be gathered and managers commit to responding to employees base on their input.  That does not mean that the business has to follow every suggestion but it absolutely has to respond with a positive answer or at least an explanation as to why the input is impractical to act upon, or, the idea is impractical to implement.
Again, the critical factor is responding to employee input.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger