Human Resources/Exit Interview Process.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Pankaj

Can you highlight the importance of exit interview in Corporates?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Dear Prashant
Exit interviews can be an important source for hearing the voice of the internal customer even though it is a delayed insight as far as the exiting individual is concerned. It can be useful for making course corrections to prevent/ reduce future exits if the reasons for exit are in the realm of being done something about.

However, a critical element in doing this well is for the process to have credibility where people believe that what they say will be used constructively and the organization will not get vindictive if they give any adverse feedback. For that it is important that it is done by someone who is seen as neutral & unbiased.

Also a lot will depend on what is asked in the exit interview. If it seen as an objective rating feedback, then the organization will only get feedback on what they ask for and that too it may be difficult to act on the basis of just scores. Given that technology is beginning to play a key role in managing various processes, it may be used here as well. Just that the organization needs to be conscious that using technology may not necessarily give as valuable an insight as an in person dialogue. It is the same difference as getting customer insights from a quantitative feedback survey result as against meeting the customers to get a fist hand understanding of their experience. Doing both may be important.

Hope this helps. Do revert if you want me to clarify any other aspect. All the best.

Regards

Pankaj

QUESTION: Dear Pankaj

Thanks.

Are exit interviews useful in all sectors viz Airlines, Banks, Manufacturing, Healthcare etc?.

Thanks
Prashant

ANSWER: Dear Prashant
Conceptually the exit interview process can be useful in any sector as long as the organization has the intent of using it for a defined purpose. If the idea is to just carry out a process for the sake of claiming that they have an exit interview process and do not mine the data then it is of no use.

So, from my bias, it does not matter which industry is applying it as long as they mine the data for insights and develop the process to deliver then insights.

Hope this helps clarify. Do revert if you want me to build on any aspect. All the best.

Regards

Pankaj

QUESTION: Dear Pankaj

Do you feel exit interviews forms could
be useful in Private Hospitals / Clinics?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Dear Prashant
As I said earlier, conceptually it can be useful in a private hospital/ clinic as well if they want to know why people are leaving them. Alternatively if the numbers are small, they can be in direct touch with the people to know what their issues are. In that case, they would know in advance why an individual wants to leave and may not get new insights from the exit process.

Unless you are talking about exit interviews of patients in a hospital/ clinic - which is more like a customer feedback form.

Hope this helps. Do revert if you want me to clarify/ expand any aspect. All the best.

Regards

Pankaj

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava