Human Resources/eligibility for unemployment benefits

Hello Brian!

I am an HOURLY employee in PA.
I work at a boarding school.
The school is shut down for the Winter Holidays. All employees, hourly and salaried, are away from their offices for the last 2 weeks of December.

I am also laid off in the first week in January, but the school is then re-opened and all other employees are back at work.

My question:
Am I eligible for unemployment compensation for the two December weeks when everybody else is out of the office, or  am I eligible only in the first week of January?

Thank you.

Based on the limited info you provided, I would think you are eligible for all three weeks.  The reason is you sound "available for work"  but there is no work scheduled.

Open a claim for unemployment starting December 21st  ( I assume as you mentioned the boarding school is closed last 2 weeks) the day your work ended due to  "No Available Work"  Here is a link to the electronic claim process:

On Left side under TOP PAGES   go down to  link for   FILE INITIAL CLAIM

You will likely need to set up an account and enter info about your boarding school employer.  Next, you will answer questions about your work and how you came to find yourself out of work due to the school closing for holidays.   Just like the lottery,  you have to play to win; and like Unemployment,  you should open a claim to get the UC benefits you earned if you are eligible for them.   No open claim, no benefits.  I think you have a waiting week, so on Monday 28th, you would go online and start the claim process.

I hope this helps.  Rate my answer and ho ho  ho.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.