Human Resources/Reason for Leaving??

Question
Hello.  Thanks for being here to answer my questions, it is greatly appreciated.

LONG story short, I was terminated from my job as a Master Police Officer after filing an FMLA intermittent leave request.  This was due to incapacitating Migraine Headaches and Chronic Frontal Sinusitis.  After the Third Medical Opinion concurred with the first and second medical opinions, and confirmed the validity of my need for FMLA intermittent leave, I was fired.  Basically, they used a pretext reason of absences to terminate me.  I am in the appeal process, but I am not getting my hopes up.  My attorney has said that this is clearly a wrongful/unlawful termination for interference with FMLA, retaliation for FMLA, and violation of ADA.  So it appears legal action may be the only recourse I have.   

So now that I am applying for jobs, I need guidance on what to put in the "REASON FOR LEAVING" section on applications.  I have no problem explaining everything, but should I put "Wrongful Termination?"  Or should I just put "Involuntary separation."  Or should I go a step further and put "Involuntary separation due to FMLA intermittent leave request?"  

Please let me know what you think.  I don't want my applications to be unduly incriminating and thrown in the trash...especially when I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks

Chris

Answer
Chris
Sorry to hear of your difficulty.  May I assume that as a sworn PO you were part of a Union i.e. PBA etc? and, that the union as also grieved the action? Hopefully the adjudication of your case wont take too long.  If it goes in your favor will you return to this position?  Are you applying for other police positions?  If not
For the short term I would just put on a leave of absence in applications as the whole process is not finalized. I would only do that for the next month or so. Additionally, I would recommend concentrating on dealing with your health problem as going forward it could be an issue in any position.  In all fairness an employer does have the right to expect you to show up and do the job regardless of what it is.  I strongly thing the health situation should be your highest priority.
Hope this helps
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky