Human Resources/Freedom Vacation Policy

Question
I work in Florida for a California based company.  2+ years ago, we shifted from earned time off to a freedom-style policy that allows us to take time provided our immediate manager "approves" it.  When we shifted policies, I had accrued 4+ weeks of vacation based on my seniority.

Upon leaving their employment, does that time have a value or have the effectively removed it from the books?  Our owners are venture capital and I suspect this was done to clear the balance sheet of this "expense".

Thank you for your assistance.

Dave

Answer
It would depend on the companies policy. The company is not required to furnish vacation time. If they do furnish it than they have to pay it out upon their policy.  If you work in Florida than Florida law would take precedence and Florida has no laws on vacation time. In California once it is earned it cannot be taken away. I would definitely ask the company about the vacation that was accrued and what happens to it once you terminate.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR