Human Resources/need your inputs.

I need your inputs on one of my queries.

I've joined an Indian IT company on July and left that company on August, I have collected one month salary and absconded from that company. Now this company HR's sent 3 reminder email to me to settle FNF due.

Now my query is, I don't want relieving letter from this company as i've joined another company without showing this company experience. Should i pay FNF dues to this company? what legal action can this company take on me? Please advise me.

ANSWER: Hi Shruthi
It is sad that you chose to take the action you took. I do not know what your compulsions were to take this step. What I do know is that absconding is a behaviour that most employers are likely to condemn.

It is a small world and should the company want to be vindictive, they can find out where you have joined and choose to share with your current employer that you absconded. More importantly your current employer could take this as a breach of integrity that you have hidden information about previous employment. In that case they could choose to ask you to resign as well. It depends on how serious the company is about this.

I do not know what the amount of F&F is being asked of you. Chances are that it may not be a large amount and so the company may not bother to take any legal action since the cost of that is likely to be more than the recovery. Though if it does, it could technically drag you to court (depending on what the clause in your appointment letter was).

The risk of the first one is more than that of the second. If you are willing to take the risk, then you need not do anything. Else, it will help if you pay up and close this in a dignified manner. This will also help you to share all the experiences in future as well without any fear.

Hope this helps. Do revert if you want me to clarify any aspect further or you have further queries on this. All the best.

QUESTION: Thanks Pankaj for the quick reply.

I was been told to pay Rs 55000/- as F&F settlement, Does company bother to take legal action for this amount?

Hi Shruthi
Unlikely that the company will go the legal way for this amount. They may however, at some stage choose to share with your current employer if they do want to get vindictive. It depends on who your current employer is and how they treat such situations.

Hope this helps you decide what is right for you. All the best.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava

Questions related to choice of career, inter-personal issues at the workplace, performance management issues, structure issues, compensation structuring issues, culture building issues, linking HR with org. strategy

22 years in HR and Org. Development, designing & facilitating interventions, leading an HR team of an Indian multinational & facilitating multiple organizations across industries to build the desired culture to serve business need

HR magazine of TISS (an HR institute of repute - Tata Institute of Social Sciences)

B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) from IIT Mumbai (one of the most reputed engineering school in India) and PGDM (MBA) from IIM Kolkata (one of the most reputed management institutes in India).

Was awarded the Gold Medal for excellence in HR by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce at IIM