Human Resources/Personnel Records

Question
I was wondering if you could answer a question for me about Massachusetts labor law. Regarding personnel records, my understanding is that any employer with 20 or more employees must have these records for each employee and must make them available to employees if they request them.

My question is, would this also apply to a contract employee working 35 hours a week in house? This was my situation recently until they terminated the contract due to, according to them, budget reasons. Would they have a personnel record for me that I could request to see so that I know the official reason they terminated the contract?

Answer
http://www.lawforchange.org/images/lfc/MassachusettsEmployment.pdf

Very good explanation of Massachusetts law in the link above.

In the State of Massachusetts you may be terminated at will without any reason for termination. It says that within 5 days of asking an employee must be allowed to view his records but I can find no mention that this also extends to contract workers. You might have to call the Massachusetts Department of labor to ask that question.

Here is contact info for MA department of Labor

http://www.mass.gov/lwd/contacts.html

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR