Human Resources/California:Salary Reduction, Change from Exempt to Non-Exempt, Reevaluation of Job Description

Question
I had an Annual Evaluation this past month in which I received an excellent evaluation and a 5% annual increase (the max available). I work in the private sector in a position which has changed little since I was hired under contract three years ago (in 2012). I was a consultant for this same company for over a year before I was hired on FT. This entire time I have worked out of my home instead of the office which is over three hours away from my home. This was arranged at time of hire and is noted in my hiring contract.

I was notified today by the payroll department that they have reevaluated my job description and are decreasing my salary by $18,500.00 per year and changing me from Exempt to Non-Exempt. This will take me down to less than I was hired at. Their reasoning was that I was no longer doing outside quality assurance (QA) checks on contractors.  I only provided these QA checks for a short period and it was not something that was part of my job description at any point, nor when I was hired. They also reasoned that my job does not support my salary and I am not doing all of my job description anyway. I have pulled my job description and it has not changed since my hire date.  I am currently doing over and above what my job description outlines. I am fulfilling all of my duties according to this description and my evaluations. The word by a few of the people in the office is that they are attempting to force me to resign.

Are these actions by my employer legal? This has come as a complete surprise, especially after my recent evaluation and raise. I need to know what my options are at this point.

Thank you for any information you could provide. It is appreciated.

Answer
Shannon
While I have not seen your complete position description I cannot arbitrarily give you the final answer as to whether you should be exempt or Non-exempt.
However this sounds like a load of crap.
You need to sit down with your boss and discuss this. Whether you are exempt or not is not relevant to a pay reduction.  Payroll on their own account changing your status and reducing your comp smells.
please follow up after you have spoken with your manager
Thanks
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky