Human Resources/my lot of job responsabilities

Question
dear MR Leo , regarding to our past conversation , please you ll check the listed 31 items I had did on my previous job and let me know how can I use those energies , skills described on the below list on other position , or which position can let me apply the below items skills only not the same items , noticed that from 27 until 31 is excessive work I hate but I did , so please dont put it on your consideration and also replace word (crew member) with (employee or labor) and let me know from your point of view which HR or CAREER COUNSELING position let me benefit or start on next position from the end of what I did as shown above in previous harsh company , also are you imagine that someone do the following responsibility alone without assistance ? yes thats me

my job responsibilities from 4-2010 until 3-2014

1- plan,recruit,arrange and coordinate engineering crews on the vessels
2- interacting with crew members personally and operating embarking
and disembarking process
3- follow up crew members and their motion until arriving vessel
moreover solving any problem related happening on my work or facing
them on their motion
4- informing all the crews traveling  the expected schedule of crew
change , any document to bring and also when moving member from one
vessel to another
5- follow up crew member who traveling alone from his city of
residence to the vessel location until arriving on board
6- arrange internal transportation with related department for
traveling crew member , otherwise arrange , searching and advising
with suitable public transportation to the crew member
7- arranging informing,motion,arriving of workshop labors to shipyard
with the superintendent engineer and the clerk who issue permissions
(during vessel overhaul)

8- solve crew members problem whether on board or any problem related
other department involved and also papers work
9- work on DP salaries estimation for more than 21 vessel with the
administrative department each month
10- Be a connection point between all crew members and my department
managers of decision making
11- solve conflicts and investigate crew members conflicts , trying to
find root solution and redistribute them on other vessels for knowing
each one personality , sometimes if it was large issue , I would
refuge to my bosses and high managers
12 researching crew members skills,talents,abilities,knowledge and
qualification to recruit each one on his suitable position
13- suppose probabilities of problems may be happened regarding time
remaining of preparation,error may happen,crew member performance,crew
members readiness and crew members reaction against sudden decision
made , on other hand time and potential I have to implement that task
, discussing on meeting all the previous items with my department
bosses and manager
14- predict problems , create and prepare alternative for overcoming
it if it happened
15- solve cabin , accommodation problems between crew members
16- record back up history for each crew member regarding
      a- problem suffered on board
      b- complains
      c- trouble he made
      d- complaining report submitted by his chief engineer
      e- personal social circumstances
      f- his language skills
      g- computer skills
      h- can be coped with technology ( new vessels )
      j- education and qualification
      k- their old experience before
      l- history of vessels worked on ( the recent experience)
     m- date of recruiting
     n- certification and curriculum he obtained and passed

17- make evaluation of competence report  for each crew members
annually or each 6 months , and submit them for my bosses and managers
, all ranks except (chief engineers and electrical engineers)
18- reporting the efficiency of the crew members whether fit or not ,
regarding to record I created for them by tracing each one performance
since their recruitment
19- evaluate our engineering members requirements whether in need of
new employees to be employed  or have extra employees to be dismissed
also their competence and rewarding
20- try to emit soul of harmony between crew members teams to obtain
computability between each other and give the best on their
performance during their work on board vessel also that ll increase
the efficiency crew
21- note and identify personal problems of crew members for studying
social environment  and trying to giving them advises for overcoming
their personal problems which affect on their working level efficacy
(volunteered)
22- be a connecting point between crew members and their families to
assure them their arrival and their status (volunteered)
23- nominate crew members to join offered training programs by
training department or engineering department manager
24- make coordination between them and the training department and
solve any problem occurred
25- communicate and nominate crew members for sessions , seminars and
debates held on the company or other events invitations presented by
clients to our department
26- give report with cases needed penalties to the department manager
to evaluate the suitable penalties deserve

27- work on, prepare and proceed papers work for applications,visa
issuing , agreements , approvals  and permissions for each crew member
28- work on visa issuing for traveling crews for specific countries
29- sending relevant documents via email to related department , sites
, other company offices and sometimes vessel
30- follow up certificates for crew members and their validity
moreover giving report to training department
31- writing and formatting all the internal memos and reports related
to all above items

thanks and best regards

Answer
JC,
What  you have  listed  is  a  set  of  activities
Which  you  perform  everyday.  
To become  a  career  counselor/ HR EXPERT,
You should  develop  the competencies.
Competencies=info+knowledge+application+skills+expertise.

HR  COMPETENCIES
List of 31 Core Competencies
The following is a summarized list of the 31 competencies listed by "cluster" (similar
competencies related to a common skill set).
I. Competencies Dealing with People
1. Establishing Focus: The ability to develop and communicate goals in support of the
business' mission.
2. Providing Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others' commitment to their work.
3. Fostering Teamwork: As a team member, the ability and desire to work cooperatively with
others on a team; as a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in
getting groups to learn to work together.
4. Empowering Others: The ability to convey confidence in employees' ability to be
successful, especially at challenging new tasks; delegating significant responsibility and
authority; allowing employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and
resolve issues.
5. Managing Change: The ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational
changes needed to improve the organization's effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and
implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational
change.
6. Developing Others: The ability to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach
them to develop their capabilities.
7. Managing Performance: The ability to take responsibility for one's own or one's employees'
performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals,
ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
8. Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others
who should be kept informed.
9. Oral Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and
interactions with others.
10. Written Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing.
11. Persuasive Communication: The ability to plan and deliver oral and written
communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences.
12. Interpersonal Awareness: The ability to notice, interpret, and anticipate others' concerns
and feelings, and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others.
13. Influencing Others: The ability to gain others' support for ideas, proposals, projects, and
solutions.
14. Building Collaborative Relationships: The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen
partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information,
assistance, and support.
15. Customer Orientation: The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one's external
and/or internal customers.
II. Compentencies Dealing with Business
16. Diagnostic Information Gathering: The ability to identify the information needed to clarify
a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to
draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it
17. Analytical Thinking: The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic,
sequential approach.
18. Forward Thinking: The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations
and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies.
19. Conceptual Thinking: The ability to find effective solutions by taking a holistic, abstract, or
theoretical perspective.
20. Strategic Thinking: The ability to analyze the organization's competitive position by
considering market and industry trends, existing and potential customers (internal and
external), and strengths and weaknesses as compared to competitors.
21. Technical Expertise: The ability to demonstrate depth of knowledge and skill in a technical
area.
22. Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the
situation requires it.
23. Entrepreneurial Orientation: The ability to look for and seize profitable business
opportunities; willingness to take calculated risks to achieve business goals.
24. Fostering Innovation: The ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new
and improved method, products, procedures, or technologies.
25. Results Orientation: The ability to focus on the desired result of one's own or one's unit's
work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them.
26. Thoroughness: Ensuring that one's own and others' work and information are complete and
accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to
ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
27. Decisiveness: The ability to make difficult decisions in a timely manner.
III. Self-Management Competencies
28. Self Confidence: Faith in one's own ideas and capability to be successful; willingness to take
an independent position in the face of opposition.
29. Stress Management: The ability to keep functioning effectively when under pressure and
maintain self control in the face of hostility or provocation.
30. Personal Credibility: Demonstrated concern that one be perceived as responsible, reliable,
and trustworthy.
31. Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one's
preferred way of doing things.
,

COUNSELLING  COMPETENCIES
Introduction to Career Counseling Competency Statements

These competency statements are for those professionals interested and trained in the field of career counseling. For the purpose of these statements, career counseling is defined as the process of assisting individuals in the development of a life-career with focus on the definition of the worker role and how that role interacts with other life roles.

NCDA’s Career Counseling Competencies are intended to represent minimum competencies for those professionals at or above the Master’s degree level of education. These competencies are reviewed on an ongoing basis by the NCDA Professional Standards Committee, the NCDA Board, and other relevant associations.

Professional competency statements provide guidance for the minimum competencies necessary to perform effectively a particular occupation or job within a particular field. Professional career counselors (Master’s degree or higher) or persons in career development positions must demonstrate the knowledge and skills for a specialty in career counseling that the generalist counselor might not possess. Skills and knowledge are represented by designated competency areas, which have been developed by professional career counselors and counselor educators. The Career Counseling Competency Statements can serve as a guide for career counseling training programs or as a checklist for persons wanting to acquire or to enhance their skills in career counseling.

Minimum Competencies

In order to work as a professional engaged in Career Counseling, the individual must demonstrate minimum competencies in eleven designated areas. These eleven areas are: Career Development Theory, Individual and Group Counseling Skills, Individual/Group Assessment, Information/Resources, Program Management and Implementation, Consultation, Diverse Populations, Supervision, Ethical/Legal Issues, Research/Evaluation, and Technology. These areas are briefly defined as follows:

•   Career Development Theory: Theory base and knowledge considered essential for professionals engaging in career counseling and development.

•   Individual and Group Counseling Skills: Individual and group counseling competencies considered essential for effective career counseling.

•   Individual/Group Assessment: Individual/group assessment skills considered essential for professionals engaging in career counseling.

•   Information/Resources: Information/resource base and knowledge essential for professionals engaging in career counseling.

•   Program Promotion, Management and Implementation: Skills necessary to develop, plan, implement, and manage comprehensive career development programs in a variety of settings.

•   Coaching, Consultation, and Performance Improvement: Knowledge and skills considered essential in enabling individuals and organizations to impact effectively upon the career counseling and development process.

•   Diverse Populations: Knowledge and skills considered essential in providing career counseling and development processes to diverse populations.

•   Supervision: Knowledge and skills considered essential in critically evaluating counselor performance, maintaining and improving professional skills, and seeking assistance for others when needed in career counseling.

•   Ethical/Legal Issues: Information base and knowledge essential for the ethical and legal practice of career counseling.

•   Research/Evaluation: Knowledge and skills considered essential in understanding and conducting research and evaluation in career counseling and development.

•   Technology: Knowledge and skills considered essential in using technology to assist individuals with career planning.

Professional Preparation

The competency statements were developed to serve as guidelines for persons interested in career development occupations. They are intended for persons training at the Master’s level or higher with a specialty in career counseling. However, this intention does not prevent other types of career development professionals from using the competencies as guidelines for their own training. The competency statements provide counselor educators, supervisors, and other interested groups with guidelines for the minimum training required for counselors interested in the career counseling specialty. The statements might also serve as guidelines for professional counselors who seek in-service training to qualify as career counselors.

Ethical Responsibilities

Career development professionals must only perform activities for which they "possess or have access to the necessary skills and resources for giving the kind of help that is needed" (see NCDA and ACA Ethical Standards). If a professional does not have the appropriate training or resources for the type of career concern presented, an appropriate referral must be made. No person should attempt to use skills (within these competency statements) for which he/she has not been trained. For additional ethical guidelines, refer to the NCDA Ethical Standards for Career Counselors.

Career Counseling Competencies and Performance Indicators

Career Development Theory

Theory base and knowledge considered essential for professionals engaging in career counseling and development. Demonstration of knowledge of:

1. Counseling theories and associated techniques.

2. Theories and models of career development.

3. Individual differences related to gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and physical and mental capacities.

4. Theoretical models for career development and associated counseling and information-delivery techniques and resources.

5. Human growth and development throughout the life span.

6. Role relationships which facilitate life-work planning.

7. Information, techniques, and models related to career planning and placement

Individual and Group Counseling Skills

Individual and group counseling competencies considered essential to effective career counseling. Demonstration of ability to:

1. Establish and maintain productive personal relationships with individuals.

2. Establish and maintain a productive group climate.

3. Collaborate with clients in identifying personal goals.

4. Identify and select techniques appropriate to client or group goals and client needs, psychological states, and developmental tasks.

5. Identify and understand clients’ personal characteristics related to career.

6. Identify and understand social contextual conditions affecting clients’ careers.

7. Identify and understand familial, sub-cultural and cultural structures and functions as they are related to clients’ careers.

8. Identify and understand clients’ career decision-making processes.

9. Identify and understand clients’ attitudes toward work and workers.

10. Identify and understand clients’ biases toward work and workers based on gender, race, and cultural stereotypes.

11. Challenge and encourage clients to take action to prepare for and initiate role transitions by:

•   locating sources of relevant information and experience,

•   obtaining and interpreting information and experiences, and acquiring skills needed to make role transitions.

12. Assist the client to acquire a set of employability and job search skills.

13. Support and challenge clients to examine life-work roles, including the balance of work, leisure, family, and community in their careers.

Individual/Group Assessment

Individual/group assessment skills considered essential for professionals engaging in career counseling. Demonstration of ability to:

1.   Assess personal characteristics such as aptitude, achievement, interests, values, and personality traits.

1.   Assess leisure interests, learning style, life roles, self-concept, career maturity, vocational identity, career indecision, work environment preference (e.g., work satisfaction), and other related life style/development issues.

1.   Assess conditions of the work environment (such as tasks, expectations, norms, and qualities of the physical and social settings).

1.   Evaluate and select valid and reliable instruments appropriate to the client’s gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and physical and mental capacities.

1.   Use computer-delivered assessment measures effectively and appropriately.

1.   Select assessment techniques appropriate for group administration and those appropriate for individual administration.

1.   Administer, score, and report findings from career assessment instruments appropriately.

1.   Interpret data from assessment instruments and present the results to clients and to others.

1.   Assist the client and others designated by the client to interpret data from assessment instruments.

1.   Write an accurate report of assessment results.

Information/Resources

Information/resource base and knowledge essential for professionals engaging in career counseling. Demonstration of knowledge of:

1.   Education, training, and employment trends; labor market information and resources that provide information about job tasks, functions, salaries, requirements and future outlooks related to broad occupational fields and individual occupations.

1.   Resources and skills that clients utilize in life-work planning and management.

1.   Community/professional resources available to assist clients in career planning, including job search.

1.   Changing roles of women and men and the implications that this has for education, family, and leisure.

1.   Methods of good use of computer-based career information delivery systems (CIDS) and computer-assisted career guidance systems (CACGS) to assist with career planning.
Program Promotion, Management, and Implementation

Knowledge and skills necessary to develop, plan, implement, and manage comprehensive career development programs in a variety of settings. Demonstration of knowledge of:

1.   Designs that can be used in the organization of career development programs.

1.   Needs assessment and evaluation techniques and practices.

1.   Organizational theories, including diagnosis, behavior, planning, organizational communication, and management useful in implementing and administering career development programs.

1.   Methods of forecasting, budgeting, planning, costing, policy analysis, resource allocation, and quality control.

1.   Leadership theories and approaches for evaluation and feedback, organizational change, decision-making, and conflict resolution.

1.   Professional standards and criteria for career development programs.

1.   Societal trends and state and federal legislation that influence the development and implementation of career development programs.

Demonstration of ability to:

1.   Implement individual and group programs in career development for specified populations.

1.   Train others about the appropriate use of computer-based systems for career information and planning.

1.   Plan, organize, and manage a comprehensive career resource center.

1.   Implement career development programs in collaboration with others.

1.   Identify and evaluate staff competencies.

1.   Mount a marketing and public relations campaign in behalf of career development activities and services.

Coaching, Consultation, and Performance Improvement

Knowledge and skills considered essential in relating to individuals and organizations that impact the career counseling and development process. Demonstration of ability to:

1.   Use consultation theories, strategies, and models.

1.   Establish and maintain a productive consultative relationship with people who can influence a client’s career.

1.   Help the general public and legislators to understand the importance of career counseling, career development, and life-work planning.

1.   Impact public policy as it relates to career development and workforce planning.

1.   Analyze future organizational needs and current level of employee skills and develop performance improvement training.

1.   Mentor and coach employees.

Diverse Populations

Knowledge and skills considered essential in relating to diverse populations that impact career counseling and development processes. Demonstration of ability to:

1.   Identify development models and multicultural counseling competencies.

1.   Identify developmental needs unique to various diverse populations, including those of different gender, sexual orientation, ethnic group, race, and physical or mental capacity.

1.   Define career development programs to accommodate needs unique to various diverse populations.

1.   Find appropriate methods or resources to communicate with limited-English-proficient individuals.

1.   Identify alternative approaches to meet career planning needs for individuals of various diverse populations.

1.   Identify community resources and establish linkages to assist clients with specific needs.

1.   Assist other staff members, professionals, and community members in understanding the unique needs/characteristics of diverse populations with regard to career exploration, employment expectations, and economic/social issues.

1.   Advocate for the career development and employment of diverse populations.

1.   Design and deliver career development programs and materials to hard-to-reach populations.

Supervision

Knowledge and skills considered essential in critically evaluating counselor or career development facilitator performance, maintaining and improving professional skills. Demonstration of:

1.   Ability to recognize own limitations as a career counselor and to seek supervision or refer clients when appropriate.

1.   Ability to utilize supervision on a regular basis to maintain and improve counselor skills.

1.   Ability to consult with supervisors and colleagues regarding client and counseling issues and issues related to one’s own professional development as a career counselor.

1.   Knowledge of supervision models and theories.

1.   Ability to provide effective supervision to career counselors and career development facilitators at different levels of experience.

1.   Ability to provide effective supervision to career development facilitators at different levels of experience by:

•   knowledge of their roles, competencies, and ethical standards

•   determining their competence in each of the areas included in their certification

•   further training them in competencies, including interpretation of assessment instruments

•   monitoring and mentoring their activities in support of the professional career counselor; and scheduling regular consultations for the purpose of reviewing their activities

Ethical/Legal Issues

Information base and knowledge essential for the ethical and legal practice of career counseling. Demonstration of knowledge of:

1.   Adherence to ethical codes and standards relevant to the profession of career counseling (e.g. NBCC, NCDA, and ACA).

1.   Current ethical and legal issues which affect the practice of career counseling with all populations.

1.   Current ethical/legal issues with regard to the use of computer-assisted career guidance systems.

1.   Ethical standards relating to consultation issues.

1.   State and federal statutes relating to client confidentiality.

Research/Evaluation

Knowledge and skills considered essential in understanding and conducting research and evaluation in career counseling and development. Demonstration of ability to:

1.   Write a research proposal.

1.   Use types of research and research designs appropriate to career counseling and development research.

1.   Convey research findings related to the effectiveness of career counseling programs.

1.   Design, conduct, and use the results of evaluation programs.

1.   Design evaluation programs which take into account the need of various diverse populations, including persons of both genders, differing sexual orientations, different ethnic and racial backgrounds, and differing physical and mental capacities.

1.   Apply appropriate statistical procedures to career development research.

Technology

Knowledge and skills considered essential in using technology to assist individuals with career planning. Demonstration of knowledge of:

1.   Various computer-based guidance and information systems as well as services available on the Internet.

1.   Standards by which such systems and services are evaluated (e.g. NCDA and ACSCI).

1.   Ways in which to use computer-based systems and Internet services to assist individuals with career planning that are consistent with ethical standards.

1.   Characteristics of clients which make them profit more or less from use of technology-driven systems.

1.   Methods to evaluate and select a system to meet local needs.  

Human Resources

Leo Lingham