Human Resources/Can You Help Me Write A Rehire Letter To My Former Boss

hello, i used to work at a pretzel factory a few years ago for a few years. and i stupidly walked out one night after clocking into to go home. So I got fired. Every since then i had no luck with a good job like that again and bills keep piling up. I was wondering how to I write a letter to get them to rehire me after the bad decision I made...

Thanks, that's an interesting question.   I can only assume if you wrote this question, you took 5 minutes to do so, and in return, I'll spend 5 minutes to reply.  So, our time is equally vetted.

Unfortunately, I dont write letters for people on this site; just offer information.

What you are asking for is not as simple as you suggest;  in writing a letter to ask them to rehire you after walking off the job, then expect them to actually hire you because you wrote a nice letter.    Here is something that will work better than a letter....  go fill out an employment application with your former employer the pretzel company.  

Here's why.  If you wrote a letter, and assuming it worked, you would likely need to fill out the application anyway... so, save a step.   Go in person, all shined up, hair combed and ready to work with a smile on your face.   Fill out the application and be sure to honestly answer the questions about past employment and , of course,  include the dates you worked for this pretzel company start and end dates.   Explain in that area of the application in the "reason you left " section you made a bad choice,  had worries, not being yourself, and you would like to be rehired since you really liked the work even though you walked off the job.  Ask for another chance.

Despite walking off the job,  if you felt you made a positive and long lasting impression on any manager there, then list that manager as a reference.   ONLY do this is you really made an impression and the manager will  without a doubt say,   Hey- I remember this dude Robert- he walked off-  but before that he was really good,  showed up,  worked OT with little notice,  always did what he needed to do.  ,  Yes,  give him another chance."   OF course, you must know  more variables go into hiring than one  yes vote by a manager or filling out the application.    

Who knows, this employer may have a policy where they don't rehire ANY former employees...if this is the case, then ...... if or when this doesn't work out,  keep looking for other work and dont worry about walking off the job.   In the scope of the world,  it isn't that earth shattering and you will find work eventually if you keep working hard to find a job.

Rock on.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.