Human Resources/Ontario Works

Question
Dear Shirley

I quit my job last January and have been trying to find work and have had no luck.  You mentioned before I would not be entitled to Employment Insurance and having high blood pressure is not enough of a medical reason.

I do not have any injury or disability.  I am also registered with CSE and have had an employment consultant do up resumes for me and also have taken a workshop. She said I would be eligible for the Ontario Works financial assistance and to apply for it soon.  I understand this is also called welfare.  My dad said this is the bottom of the barrel and if I register the people there will give me a hard time and be into my apartment every so often to check up on things.  I understand they would give me financial assistance for rent and food.

My rent is 800 month and utilities are extra.  Since January I have had to borrow money from the bank and my loan limit is 15000 dollars.  I am at 14, 500 now which is very close to the limit.  My visa is 2400 limit and I am at 1232.00.  I am worried that my previous employers may find out I am applying for welfare.  I hope they never know about this as applying for social or financial assistance should be kept private.

Would Ontario Works give me back part of the money I have had to borrow from the bank these last four months while I still look for work and is this the only option left I should apply for as soon as possible?

I will lose my apartment in a few months if I keep having to borrow money from the bank.  I'm not sure how much Ontario Works would provide for me but if it could be only 500 dollars, that would still help.  It seems rather unlikely they will pay the full rent amount of 800 plus utilites.  My Dad said Ontario works would not pay out as much as EI.

Your thoughts please on me applying for the Ontario works program and how private this is?  I understand Ontario works would refer me to CSE but I am already registered with them and they are  helping me to find a job.  I do not know how long Ontario works would provide financial assistance for me, whether this is only up to 6 months, or maybe until I am working again.

Thank you!

Answer
I have not dealt with this program as it is not an employment  program. If it will offer you some help with the finances you should apply for it right away. They will not pay your bank, but they may help with the rent and food expenses. This is for those that need it and sounds like you need it. You should not feel bad about using a program that is provided for those in need. We all have difficulties once in a while and need a helping hand.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR