Human Resources/hourly to salary

Question
My company decided to move me from hourly to salary, but did not asked me if I wanted to or not. For one, because of the move I took about $800-900 a month pay cut since  I now do not get paid for the OT I usually put in.  Is this a common practice and if it even legal?

Answer
They can only move you from hourly to salary exempt if your job warrants this move. That means it has to qualify under the exempt standards which are put out by the Department of Labor. It is illegal to not pay overtime if you do not qualify to be exempt.

There are several exemptions allowed under the fair labor standards act.  It is up to the employer and the employee to determine if the job is overtime exempt or not. However if they miss-classify an employee the DOL will come back and make them pay fines, penalties and all the back overtime and taxes.

You can call the department of labor in your state, explain your job to them and ask them to classify your job. If it is miss-classified they will contact your company and you will have to be paid your overtime.

What you will need to tell the Department of Labor is that you have recently been classified as exempt salaried and you believe that you should be non exempt can they help you properly classify your position.

They use the terms exempt and non exempt instead of hourly and salaried because you can be paid a salary and still be paid overtime if you are non exempt.

If you need the contact information for your local Department of Labor let me know in which state you live and I can get that for you.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR